Bruno Fernandes said Sky Sports news he has no problem with Manchester United team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo and says their row in the dressing room in Portugal was a “joke”.
Fernandes shook hands with Ronaldo on Monday when the pair met in Portugal ahead of the World Cup while Ronaldo spoke to Piers Morgan where he criticized United and boss Erik ten Hag.
But Mr Fernandes played down the act and says audio from the footage proves they share a sense of humour.
He was asked by Sky Sports news journalist Gary Cotterill After Portugal beat Nigeria 4-0 despite having a problem with Ronaldo, Fernandes replied: “I have no problem with anyone.
“I do my job and as a manager once said to me, all you can control is yourself. I think everyone thinks the same, you have to control yourself, give your best and that’s it.”
Asked if he had not told Ronaldo, Fernandes replied: “Why do you say that?
“They make noise [on] after. Did you hear the words? You have to.
“In Portugal we have a problem, that I look at one of the channels that talks about this, ‘it was cold, it was bad’, for 45 minutes.
“Suddenly they are going on vacation, the national team is sending with noise.
“The voice says that he is playing with me and then he comes back and says that there is a joke and he cut off there, he said if you want to see it again come back, but when he comes back he will see that there is a problem. But if it is true and explain what was in the video people will know, but now people don’t know.
“This is the national team, Manchester United will be my goal after the World Cup.”
In his engaging conversation with TalkTV, which was released a few days ago, Ronaldo criticized United, criticized his former players and said that the owners, the Glazer family, do not care about the club.
But Fernandes, who joined United in January 2020, insists he has not seen the interview with Qatar World Cup focused.
He said: “I did not read the interview so I am not guilty.
“Now it’s the national team, it’s Portugal, the coach has said that we are. He’s been saying this since I came to the national team in 2017 and it’s still clear that the biggest thing in his mind is the national team and us.
“We have to focus on the World Cup because the World Cup doesn’t come every time. You don’t get the chance to play the World Cup very often.
“Cristiano will play in his fifth World Cup so everyone is ready and everyone wants to give their best to the team.”
Ronaldo was ‘frustrated’ by Ten Hag
Ronaldo is said to have been “furious” with the Ten Hag after he refused to come on last month against Tottenham and left Old Trafford for the full-time whistle.
Ronaldo said he believed Ten Hag “didn’t respect him” as much as he “deserved”, although he “regretted” his actions against Tottenham in October but felt the punishment he received was too harsh.
In the final part of his explosive interview with Piers Morgan on TalkTV, Ronaldo also revealed that he has turned down a €350m (£305m) offer to play in Saudi Arabia this summer and said he has “a lot” to leave United.
The 37-year-old revealed that he wants to continue his playing career until the age of 40, but he does not know which team he will represent beyond the World Cup in Qatar, but he said that leaving United means “it’s good to have a new chapter” in his career.
Away from United, Ronaldo said he would be “happy” if Arsenal won the Premier League, with the Gunners currently five points ahead of leaders Manchester City.
In videos shown this week from the same interview, Ronaldo revealed that he “was on the verge of moving to Manchester City last summer, before Sir Alex Ferguson intervened, and he was very critical of Ralf Rangnick’s tenure and the club’s young players. .
Read the best of part one and part two of the interview here.
Neville: No comeback for Ronaldo
Sky Sports’ Gary Neville says there is “no way back” for Cristiano Ronaldo at Manchester United after he criticized the club and manager Erik ten Hag, but insists he is not against his former team-mate.
Neville, who was also criticized by Ronaldo during an interview with Piers Morgan TalkTVtold Sky Sports that he cannot see the Portuguese playing for the club again.
“No, and I don’t think he wants to go back,” Neville said. “He wouldn’t have done this interview if he wanted a way back. He knew it would bring the headlines he has and the end of his Manchester United career.”
Manchester United have not yet announced what they will do following Ronaldo’s interview.
Neville added: “I wonder what Man Utd are doing because the truth is they know they have to terminate Cristiano’s contract or they open a precedent that any player can criticize them in the future.”
Asked about his thoughts and if he was against Ronaldo, Neville replied: “It’s not true, what he said, but all is well in love and war.
“I live in opposition games and I know that I have to accept, and I get a lot. I like all my friends that I play with, including Cristiano.
“I’m not against Ronaldo – far from it. I wouldn’t be interested in him anymore, I couldn’t respect him anymore. He’s the greatest player I’ve ever seen and he’s the most talented player I’ve ever played with.”