Manchester United are exploring ways to end Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract with the club following his interview with Piers Morgan.
Interview of Ronaldo on TalkTV – aired in two episodes on Wednesday and Thursday – saw the 37-year-old criticize the club and manager Erik ten Hag, who the player says has “no respect” for him.
Ronaldo also said senior members of United are trying to get him out of Old Trafford and he was skeptical when he said he would not go to pre-season because his daughter was ill in hospital.
United said it would consider its response to Ronaldo’s comments “once all the details are known” and issued a brief statement on Friday announcing the club had “initiated appropriate measures”.
Now it is clear that “there is almost zero chance” Ronaldo will play for the club again.
Ronaldo’s key words – a snapshot of all his conversations
- ‘I feel betrayed by Man Utd | I have no respect for Erik ten Hag’
- ‘Man Utd question me about my sick daughter after I missed pre-season’
- ‘The Glazer family don’t care about Man Utd | United stand on the clock’
- ‘Man City move was close but Sir Alex Ferguson changed everything’
- ‘Young people don’t care but Diogo Dalot and Lisandro Martinez are different’
- ‘Roy Keane is the best captain I’ve ever had but Gary Neville and Wayne Rooney are not my friends’
- ‘I have never seen Ralf Rangnick as a boss | Ole Gunnar Solskjaer did a great job’
- ‘I regret leaving Old Trafford vs Tottenham – I was angry’
- ‘I rejected the Saudi move for €350m | I don’t know if I will stay at Man Utd after the World Cup’
- ‘I’d be happy if Arsenal won the Premier League’
- ‘Lionel Messi is magic | I want to play until I’m 40’
Although United have not set a timetable for this, they are thought to want Ronaldo’s exit as “clean and quick” and as respectful as possible – not only to minimize disruption at Old Trafford, but also to show respect for Portugal. at the World Cup.
United are unwilling to offer Ronaldo a release clause and given the player’s and club’s desire to part ways, they believe a deal can be reached soon.
It is not an easy task because Ronaldo’s contract is one of the biggest in the history of the sport.
Sky Sports news learned this week that United do not accept some of the criticisms that Ronaldo made in the interview.
Ronaldo has criticized the club for their lack of money in the 13 years since he left Old Trafford. Sources insisted that United had invested in their facilities – particularly the training ground, restaurant and swimming pool.
The Portuguese forward also criticized Ten Hag but sources say Ronaldo was respected by the club and the manager. In press conferences, Ten Hag always insisted that Ronaldo was given time off before the start of the season to deal with family issues.
It has been confirmed Sky Sports news there was an offer from Saudi Arabia in the summer, which United would have accepted but Ronaldo did not want to move.
There were no further offers for this player in the last transfer window.