Nine-time Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic will be able to play in next year’s tournament after confirming on Wednesday that he has been granted a travel visa.
The 35-year-old Serb, the most successful male player in the tournament’s history, missed this year’s tournament after being kicked out for failing to receive the Covid-19 vaccine.
Former world number one Djokovic was banned from entering the country until 2025, but the decision has since been reversed.
“I was very happy to receive the news yesterday,” said Djokovic, whose run has been high in the build-up to this year’s Australian Open, after defeating Andrey Rublev at the ATP Finals in Turin on Wednesday.
“It was a relief to know what I and the closest people in my life have been through this year with what happened in Australia and sending it to Australia obviously.
“I couldn’t get any better news for sure – during this tournament. The Australian Open has been my most successful Grand Slam. I had the best memories there.
“Of course, I want to go back there, I want to play tennis, do what I do best, I hope to have a good summer in Australia.”
Tournament director Craig Tiley confirmed earlier this month that Djokovic would be admitted in January if he could secure a visa, but Tennis Australia failed to secure his approval.
In July Australia lifted a law requiring international travelers to declare they have a Covid vaccine, and Djokovic said in October he had received “good signs” about how he would try to overturn the ban.