The 21-year-old was arrested in January 2022 after photos and videos were shared on social media.
Manchester United player Mason Greenwood will not plead guilty to attempted rape and assault.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said on Thursday that the charges, which also included control and coercion, had been dropped.
Greenwood was charged in October after an investigation that began in January 2022.
“At this point, the combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and the new facts that came to light meant that there was no longer any hope of certainty,” the CPS said in a statement. “In that case, we have a duty to stop the case.”
Greenwood was arrested in January 2022 after photos and videos were shared on social media.
The 21-year-old has been suspended by United and has not been allowed to train with the team. The group has not commented on CPS’s decision.
Greater Manchester Police said they understood why the case had been closed but reaffirmed their “commitment to investigating cases of violence against women and girls”.
“The investigative team has been in regular contact with the law enforcement team, providing any updates, so they understand why the charges have been suspended at this point, and that this decision was not taken lightly,” said Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr. .
The Bradford-born player came through the United Academy and made his debut for the Red Devils in the Champions League win against Paris St Germain in March 2019.