Friends, have you ever put a pile of fresh laundry aside and just forgot about it for a while? Well, this same practice recently caused a house fire in Burlington, North Carolina!
Hot Clothes Can Be Dangerous If Left Untended!
The incident went down in the early hours of Tuesday, November 29. Shortly after midnight, the Burlington Fire Department responded to a fire alarm and found smoke coming from the home, according to the newspaper.
When they saw that the owner of the house was not working, the authorities were forced to step in to solve the problem.
“The firemen were forced to enter the house because the owner was at work, and they put the fire in the bedroom and put it out. He checked again to make sure there were no people there. It took firefighters about 15 minutes to ensure the fire was extinguished with no hot spots left. “
The statement also addressed the cause of the fire: an unattended pile of clothes.
Specifically, the fire started “because of the very hot clothes” that were left on the bed.
“The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to overheated clothes from the clothes dryer being removed from the dryer in the bedroom. Then the clothes started to burn and burnt clothes and other furniture.”
All told, the fire department estimated the damage was about $30,000. Fortunately, further damage was avoided thanks to the house’s alarm system.
“The damage figures are $20,000 to the structure and $10,000 to the contents. This fire shows the value of the alarm management program, which made it possible to
quick dispatch of firefighters which minimizes damage to the building. “
Most Laundry Fires Come from Lint
Although this is unusual, starting a fire is not uncommon.
According to the US Fire Administration (USFA), thousands of dryers catch fire every year, and the main cause is lint build-up and catching fire.
The USFA says staying on top of cleaning and maintenance is important, and it’s also recommended not to leave the dryer running before going to bed or leaving the house.
So, while the North Carolina laundry fire was on the more unusual side, people have a real risk of starting a dryer fire if they fail to regularly clean the lint trap. In addition, it is important to clean regularly by drying the air and exhaust air.
Clean your lint dryer filter after each use. Clean your dryer lint periodically. https://t.co/r6cirsIpIr
– US Consumer Product Safety Commission (@USCPSC) December 1, 2022
#WeekendChallenge Take a look at the outside of your air dryer, if you haven’t cleaned it before, it might look like this… A clogged drain can start a fire in your home, get rid of it today. pic.twitter.com/x0yMNoKuob
— Midland Fire Department (@MidlandFire) November 26, 2022
What do you think about this issue, and are you changing your laundry routine now?