Ukrainian authorities have begun evacuating residents of recently liberated southern regions due to power and water shortages.
Ukrainian authorities have begun evacuating civilians from the recently liberated areas of Kherson and Mykolaiv regions, fearing that the lack of heat, power and water due to Russian shelling will make the situation worse in the winter.
Officials urged residents of the two southern regions, which Russian forces have been shelling for months, to move to safer areas in the central and western regions of the country.
Deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine Iryna Vereshchuk said on Monday that the government will provide transport, accommodation and medical care to them, especially women with children and the elderly.
The evacuation comes a week after Ukraine recaptured the city of Kherson, on the west bank of the Dnieper River, and surrounding areas in a major battle.
Since then, this winter, residents and government officials are realizing how much power and other equipment the Russians destroyed before they returned or destroyed it last week.
Ukraine is known for its winters and snow has already arrived in Kyiv, the capital, and other parts of the country.
Russia has been disrupting Ukraine’s electricity grid with aerial weapons for several weeks, causing blackouts and leaving millions of Ukrainians without electricity, heat and water.
To cope, blackouts of four hours or more were scheduled for Monday in 15 of Ukraine’s 27 regions, according to Volodymyr Kudrytsky, head of Ukraine’s grid group Ukrenergo. The President of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, has said that more than 50 percent of the country’s power plants have been destroyed due to the explosion of Russian weapons.
There are no ‘security issues’ in Zaporizhzhia
Meanwhile, the UN’s atomic watchdog said there was no nuclear safety or immediate safety at Russia’s Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant despite an explosion at the weekend that caused extensive damage.
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), which has four of its staff based in Zaporizhzhia, a nuclear power plant in Zaporizhzhia, said on Sunday that there had been the most dangerous explosions in recent months this week, although it added that nuclear safety is a priority. and security systems had not been compromised.
“They [IAEA experts] they were able to confirm that – despite the threat of missiles – the main weapons remained and there were no nuclear safety or security concerns,” the IAEA said on Monday.
“The condition of the six units is stable, and the integrity of the used oil, fresh oil and low, medium and high-level waste in their storage facilities was confirmed,” the IAEA said, adding that there are “major damage to all sites”.
The damage included “several damage to the main road on the side of the power plant”, shrapnel hitting the compressed air pipe, “slight damage to the sprinkler hose” and damage to the roof of the building known as the special support building.
“This is a matter of great concern because it clearly shows the danger of an attack on one of the world’s largest nuclear facilities,” said IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi.
Grossi has been warning for months about the potential danger of the projectiles and is looking for a safe place around the plant. The IAEA said it had “expanded its discussions” on security issues after the missiles this week.