The Ministry of Security in Rwanda reported an incident in which an unidentified soldier engaged in gunfire within the Rubavu district, subsequently being neutralized.

Clash at the Border

According to the Ministry of Defense in Rwanda, a soldier, presumed to be a combatant from the Congolese forces, was fatally shot after he infiltrated the border and launched an attack on Rwandan soldiers this Saturday.

In the early hours, at approximately 1am local time (23:00 GMT), the individual breached the modest demarcation separating Goma, located in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), and Rwanda, specifically entering the Rubavu district. He then initiated an assault on members of the Rwandan Defence Forces (RDF) stationed at a guard tower. The ministry’s release emphasized that RDF personnel neutralized the assailant before he could inflict harm on anyone.

The military forces of the Congo had yet to provide their comments on the matter in response to an inquiry from Reuters.

This event unfolds against the backdrop of heightened activities by the M23 rebel faction, which has been in conflict with the Congolese government for a decade and has recently made significant advances, pushing towards Goma amidst intensifying confrontations.

The DRC has consistently accused Rwanda of offering support to the M23 rebels, allegations that Rwanda vehemently refutes.

The ongoing conflict has seen M23 launching multiple assaults in the eastern DRC this year, with skirmishes between the military and rebels causing the displacement of numerous individuals since March.

Efforts to mend the strained relations between Rwanda and the DRC are ongoing. A notable development was the agreement between former Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta and Rwandan President Paul Kagame, who, on Friday, highlighted the pressing need for the M23 rebels to cease hostilities and vacate the territories they have occupied in the eastern DRC. This statement was issued by the East African Community bloc.

The forthcoming week is scheduled to host the second phase of peace negotiations in Luanda, the capital of Angola.